Allantoin is a natural active botanical substance derived from Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) root and leaves.
Allantoin is compatible with most ingredients used in personal care formulations.
Allantoin has traditionally been demonstrated to promote new cell growth, act as a strong anti-inflammatory, anti-irritant and may help to repair tissue damage when applied topically.
A natural regenerating & protecting agent that helps with dry, damaged or chapped skin by sealing in moisture.
It is traditionally used to promote wound healing and tissue repair and may help in the treatment of skin ulcers, wounds, burns, sunburns, acne and skin eruptions, eczema and psoriasis because it softens skin and protects living skin cells.
The FDA (U.S.A, Food and Drug Authority) has approved the following statements for non-prescription, drug products containing Allantoin at 0.2% to 2.0%.
- Temporary protection of minor cuts, scrapes, burns and sunburn.
- Helps prevent and temporarily protects chafed, chapped, cracked, or wind burned skin and lips.
- Relieves dryness and softens cold sores and fever blisters.
- Helps treat and prevent diaper rash. Protects skin from irritation due to diaper rash and helps to prevent it by sealing out wetness.
- Allantoin is considered to be nontoxic, nonirritating and non-allergenic. Allantoin is safe and effective in the dosage range recommended (0.2 to 2.0%) as a skin protectant.
Appearance: Odour less white crystalline powder.
Solubility: slightly water soluble
Melting point: 230 oC
Suggested percentage: 0.2% to 2%
Incorporation: To incorporate 0.2% Allantoin, or more, into an emulsion, the emulsion is made and Allantoin is added during the cooling process below 45 oC. Good agitation is required to thoroughly disperse the Allantoin to achieve a suitable suspension. Addition of Allantoin at 0.2% or more at temperatures above 50 oC in aqueous systems can cause re-crystallization, upon cooling, into larger particles which are perceptible during product use. Allantoin can be pre-mixed with a little water to aid incorporation.