Your immune system plays an important role in keeping you healthy. When your immune system is weakened, it can make you more vulnerable to becoming ill. Because of this, it’s important to do what you can to help your immune system work to its full potential.
You may have heard that essential oils (EOs) can help support your immune system.
What’s known about essential oils and immune health?
EOs are concentrated substances extracted from plants. They can come from a variety of sources, including, but not limited to:
Typically, EOs are used in aromatherapy, either by inhaling them or by applying a diluted solution to the skin. They’re used for a variety of purposes, such as:
- reducing stress
- promoting sleep
- easing pain
Safety tips for essential oils
- Do not apply an EO directly to your skin. It needs to be diluted with a carrier oil, like coconut, jojoba, or olive oil at around a 1.5 to 3 percent concentration.
- Do not use an EO on or near irritated skin, wounds, or rashes.
- Avoid contact with your eyes or mucous membranes.
- Do not ingest or use an EO internally.
- Avoid using EOs on infants, children, pregnant people, older adults, or those with serious health conditions without first talking with a doctor.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets, and do not use EOs on animals.
Which essential oils may help your immune system the most?
Much of the information about EOs boosting immune function is anecdotal. That means it comes from personal experience rather than from scientific research.
Here is a closer look at our top 5 immune supporting Essential Oils.
Lavender essential oil is obtained from the flowers of the lavender plant (Lavandula angustifolia). Lavender Essential Oil is one of the most widely used and versatile essential oils in aromatherapy. A first-aid kit in a bottle! It is believed the oil can promote relaxation, a treatment for anxiety, fungal infections, allergies, inflammation, depression, insomnia, eczema, burns, scarring, headaches, coughs and colds, nausea and even menstraual cramps.
Eucalyptus essential oil comes from the leaves of the eucalyptus tree (Eucalyptus globulus). It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and it has a long history of use for ailments like a cough and respiratory infections.
Tea tree essential oil is made from the leaves of the tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia). It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Tea tree EO has been used historically for a variety of conditions, such as skin problems and respiratory illnesses.
Clove essential oil comes from the dried flower buds of the Syzygium aromaticum tree. It has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and pain-easing properties. Clove EO has been used for hundreds of years in traditional medicinal practices to ease pain and help wounds.
Peppermint has traditionally been used for its analgesic properties and has been known to be beneficial in relieving muscular
aches and pains.
Ideas for use:
- Put a few drops in your Diffuser or Burner to help clear the air of germs/bugs and inhale the beautiful aroma all day it may help to clear your nose and chest.
- Dilute a few drops into an oil or cream and rub on your chest, this may help with a peaceful night’s sleep and relief from congestion.
- Add a couple of drops to your bath, the mixture of steam and Colds Away may help ease congestion and clear your nose.
- Combine into a roller for immune and respiratory support.
We also have a great congestion supporting Synergy blend called “COLDS AWAY” which is a blend of Eucalyptus, Lavender and Tea Tree Oil.